The BA Acting Programme is dedicated to producing credible, professional actors who are at the forefront of the region’s theatre revolution, while establishing themselves as international contenders for a global, performing arts career in both live and digital media settings. Bringing together an intense, imaginative and collaborative learning environment, students are exposed to a wide variety of industry-leading training techniques, genres and styles.
The four-year, full-time Acting Degree is designed to inspire, challenge and expand performers’ skills and techniques – this also includes training in directing, writing, dramaturgy and producing: we want to build dynamic performers who will take an empowered, authentic and entrepreneurial approach to their careers. The programme offers students the opportunity to explore and rediscover the world of performing arts through interdisciplinary approaches to contemporary teaching and learning.
Step into Acting
The average day comprises of skills-based morning sessions, which include physical, vocal and acting training: here the focus is on developing technique and technical skills. The afternoon sessions focus on project and performance work in theatre, television, film and radio, which affords students the opportunity to put into practice the skills and techniques learnt throughout the morning sessions.
In Year 4, students work with a range of expert, international artists from the fields of live performance, television and film to produce public-facing shows and a major festival of self-produced theatre and short films.
Why study with us?
- Situated within the 'Cultural Capital' of the Arab World
- Epicentre of inspiration, creativity and innovation
- Exclusive masterclasses with international artists
- Become the next generation of leaders and change-makers of the performing arts world
Here at SPAA, it doesn’t matter how old you are, what college you graduated from, gender, cultural background or religious affiliations. All that matters is how committed you are, how much work you’re willing to put in and how much of yourself you are willing to give to the process. SPAA is in every way a dream come true.
Start Date: September 2023
Programme Length: 4 years full-time
Contact Hours: 30 hours per week
Find out more about your Programme Leader - Benedict Ayrton.
For BA - Acting Programme Content, Structure, Course Descriptors and Credit Hours, click here.
For all Academy programmes, students must be proficient in English. A minimum standard is required in one of the following:
- EmSAT which is the national system in the UAE, with a score of 1100 – 1225 or above
- TOEFL with a score of 500
- IELTS with a score of 5.5
General entry requirements are set out in SPAA's Academic Regulations, and are as follows:
- All undergraduate applicants are expected to have successfully completed Grade 12 or equivalent high school credentials.
- Applicants are expected to be a minimum of 17 years of age on August 31 of the year that they start the programme of study.
- Teaching, assessment and student support takes place in English; therefore, applicants must be proficient in English. A minimum standard of proficiency is required in one of the following:
- EmSAT English score of 1100
- IELTS General score of 5.5
- TOEFL score of 500 (173 CBT and 61 IBT)
- Students with prior education from an International Curriculum need to provide SPAA with an Equivalency Letter of their education issued by the Ministry of Education in the UAE.
To be considered for the BA Acting programme, all applicants must register their details by completing the following form.
A member of our Admissions Team will be in touch shortly (please allow 3-4 working days).
All applicants will be required to attend an online or in-person interview with the Programme Leader or a Faculty panel.
Optional: During the application process, you may also submit a short video (max. 3 mins) of yourself acting/ performing one (1) monologue from a published play. We’ve created an easy, step-by-step guide to help you prepare for and present your audition video, if you wish to do so: https://youtu.be/Leu_HBxwK8I.
You may also send us a 1-minute video of another skill you have; for example, movement, singing, or any other relevant skill you would like to share with us.
For any urgent admissions-related enquiries, feel free to contact us via the following methods:
Phone: +971 (0) 6 502 9999 (7.30 AM - 4.30 PM or 8 AM - 1 PM during Term Holidays)
AED 60,000 per year:
- AED 5,000 (deposit upon accepting your place here at SPAA)
- AED 30,000 (due by the first day of each academic year)
- AED 25,000 (due by the start of February each academic year)
Full and Part Scholarships:
Eligible full-time undergraduate students may apply for a SPAA scholarship upon acceptance into their chosen discipline.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Programme Leader - Acting: Benedict Ayrton
Lead Tutor - Acting: Zenon Kruszelnicki
Lead Tutor - Movement and Physicality: Ramanjaneyulu Doosari
Lead Tutor - Voice: Kit Lessner
Lead Tutor - Recorded Media: Alan Mandel
Voice Tutor: Phoebe Taiano
Specialist Acting Tutor: Aiham Hassan
Lead Tutor - Dance: Lisa Rowley
English Tutor: Mona Said
Programme Leader - Post Graduate Studies: Heather Davies
Singing Tutor: Kathleen Bell
Associate Programme Leader - Fundamental Years: Matt Ball
Manager - Children and Young Performers: Lynne Holloway
Let us lead you
Our team consists of some of the very best educators, professionals, directors, choreographers, designers, stage managers and theatre technicians from around the world.